Wednesday, June 3, 2009

Service Day...to be continued

Before today, I had never heard of gleaning. Going into service day I thought that we would be out in a field picking vegetables or something along those lines but little did I know that we would be sorting loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of sweet potatoes and rutabagas! I’m not really a fan of sweet potatoes as it is, but after today I can honestly say that I can live without seeing another sweet potato in my whole life. And as for rutabagas, I’ve never tried one and I never will because the loads and loads and loads and loads and loads of moldy rutabagas made me instantly have a hatred for them. But through all the smells and smooshy vegetables, this experience was wonderful because all the effort that was put into today is going to feed the less fortunate people in Washington. The five hours that we spent today are equivalent to a month’s work for the people at the warehouse and the presence of God
To be continued…..
Emily Gaines

No comments: