Thursday, June 4, 2009

Let's Get Dirty


It seems everytime we look at something and say"I don't want to do that!" or "I'll do any job except that one!" That's what we end up doing, and one of two things come from it. One you complain the whole time and be upset and when you do it you see God through it.

Monday was service day and to be honest it was the day I had dreaded. I got assigned to Novaco which stands for Northern Virginia Coalition. It was a woman's shelter for women, suffering from domestic abuse. We were doing landscape and yard work around their safe house. We got there and start talking about who was going to do what. They explained about cleaning the windows, the porch, trimming the hedges and I was thinking I can do that! Even the thought of spreading mulch sounded great. But then there was the weedy thorny bit of bug infested and who knows what else in there, bit of land by the fence. First off I looked at it and thought"Ok Kate just make sure not to get that job." But.......did you guess it? I got that job.

I started thinking about the song by Audio Adrenaline. It talks about getting dirty for Jesus. And that is what we were there for. To get dirty and be the hands and feet of Jesus to who we were serving. So me this big girly girl, who screams "bloody murder" at the sight of a bug and freaks out over dirt was down cutting thorny vines and regular ones getting dirty for Jesus. And I found that I really loved it. To this day (Wednesday) my best memory from this trip is the Service Day. I found myself wishing it was longer. In challenges we grow stronger and see more and more of God's face.

Romans 5:3-5
"We can rejoice too, when we run into problems or trials, for we know that they help us develop endurance, and endurance develops strength of character, and character strengthens our confident hope of salvation. And this hope will not lead to disappointment. For we know how dearly God loves us, because he has given us the Holy Spirit to fill our hearts with his love."

Kate Hood

No comments: